Monday, November 25, 2013

Charley Harper

Charley Harper is my favorite artist. You probably would recognize a lot of his work, even if you don't know who he is. Here are some examples:

Charley Harper...cardinalsLove from above, Charley Harper, 1976Headbanger - Charley Harper

He did a lot of commercial work during his career and is well known for his self-described "minimal realism." I like the motion he conveys in his work and the interesting perspectives he often uses. So, when I discovered a collection of fabrics had been released under his name using his work I freaked out! (Unnecessarily, but I was excited!) I immediately ordered the whole collection from fabricworm.com. It should arrive this week!. Here's a picture from their website:


I am thinking of using it to make up this quilt from Elizabeth Hartman's site Oh Fransson!:
Image of NEW WAVE QUILTS pdf quilt pattern

It should display the prints well.

On a separate note, I've been trying to plan through some of the other designs I'd like to try. There are a couple from Elizabeth Hartman's book The Practical Guide to Patchwork and a couple from a new book I purchased by Natalia Bonner and Kathleen Whiting called Modern One Block Quilts. In order to plan, I've been drawing out the designs from the books and substituting in my own color schemes and sizes. I am surprised the extent to which it is helping me plan. Here's a shot of one of my planning pages:



If I had fabric swatches I would include those with the sheet as well, but I don't have much of a stash yet, so that will come later. This is a plan for a wall hanging I'd like to make for my entryway that picks up on several colors in an area rug that we have. The pattern in Hartman's book is called "Valentine" and it uses a lot of strip piecing. I think a small project with a new technique will be just the ticket for my second project.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment